E-Print Archive

There are 3835 abstracts currently viewable.


Search:

Advanced Search
Options
Main Page Add New E-Print Submitter
Information
Feedback
News Help/FAQ About Preferences
Manage Key Phrase
Notification
A Statistical Analysis of the Solar Phenomena Associated with Global EUV Waves View all abstracts by submitter

David Long   Submitted: 2017-11-17 08:38

Solar eruptions are the most spectacular events in our solar system and are associated with many different signatures of energy release including solar flares, coronal mass ejections, global waves, radio emission and accelerated particles. Here, we apply the Coronal Pulse Identification and Tracking Algorithm (CorPITA) to the high cadence synoptic data provided by the Solar Dynamic Observatory (SDO) to identify and track global waves observed by SDO. 164 of the 362 solar flare events studied (45%) are found to have associated global waves with no waves found for the remaining 198 (55%). A clear linear relationship was found between the median initial velocity and the acceleration of the waves, with faster waves exhibiting a stronger deceleration (consistent with previous results). No clear relationship was found between global waves and type II radio bursts, electrons or protons detected in-situ near Earth. While no relationship was found between the wave properties and the associated flare size (with waves produced by flares from B to X-class), more than a quarter of the active regions studied were found to produce more than one wave event. These results suggest that the presence of a global wave in a solar eruption is most likely determined by the structure and connectivity of the erupting active region and the surrounding quiet solar corona rather than by the amount of free energy available within the active region.

Authors: David M. Long, Pearse Murphy, Georgina Graham, Eoin P. Carley, David Pérez-Suárez
Projects: GOES X-rays,SDO-AIA,SoHO-LASCO,Wind

Publication Status: Accepted for publication in Solar Physics
Last Modified: 2017-11-17 14:24
Go to main E-Print page  Development of Solar Flares and Features of the Fine Structure of Solar Radio Emission  Imaging Spectroscopy of Solar Radio Burst Fine Structures  Edit Entry  Download Preprint  Submitter's Homepage Delete Entry 

Key
Go to main E-Print pageGo to main E-Print page.
Previous AbstractPrevious Abstract.
Next AbstractNext Abstract.
Download PreprintDownload Preprint.
Submitter's HomepageSubmitters Homepage.
Edit EntryEdit Entry.
View All Abstracts By SubmitterView all abstracts by submitter.
Delete AbstractDelete abstract.

Latest Entries
Statistical Properties of Ribbon Evolution and Reconnection Electric Fields in Eruptive and Confined Flares
Unambiguous Evidence of Filament Splitting-Induced Partial Eruptions
On the Origin of the Double-cell Meridional Circulation in the Solar Convection Zone
Modelling Quasi-Periodic Pulsations in Solar and Stellar Flares
Diffusive transport of energetic electrons in the solar corona: X-ray and radio diagnotics
Plasma evolution within an erupting coronal cavity
Identification of multiple hard X-ray sources in solar flares: A Bayesian analysis of the February 20 2002 event
Flux Rope Breaking and Formation of a Rotating Blowout Jet
On-Orbit Performance of the Helioseismic and Magnetic Imager Instrument onboard the Solar Dynamics Observatory
Two-Phase Heating in Flaring Loops
Evidence For The Magnetic Breakout Model in an Equatorial Coronal-Hole Jet
Spontaneous flux concentrations from the negative effective magnetic pressure instability beneath a radiative stellar surface
Powerful Solar Flares of September 2017: Correspondence Between Parameters of Microwave Bursts and Proton Fluxes near Earth
Evaluation of Applicability of a Flare Trigger Model based on Comparison of Geometric Structures
Coronal hole evolution from multi-viewpoint data as input for a STEREO solar wind speed persistence model
Formation and Dynamics of a Solar Eruptive Flux Tube
The Instruments and Capabilities of the Miniature X-ray Solar Spectrometer (MinXSS) CubeSats
Fine Structures of Solar Radio Type III Bursts and their Possible Relationship with Coronal Density Turbulence
Influence of misalignments on the performance of externally occulted solar coronagraphs. Application to PROBA-3/ASPIICS
Observations of Electron-driven Evaporation during a Flare Precursor

Related Pages
MSU Solar Physics.
Max Millennium Science Mail Archive.
Max Millennium Message of the Day Mail Archive.
Max Millennium Flare Catalog

Archive Maintainer
Alisdair Davey



© 2003 Solar Physics Group - Montana State University