E-Print Archive

There are 4002 abstracts currently viewable.


Search:

Advanced Search
Options
Main Page Add New E-Print Submitter
Information
Feedback
News Help/FAQ About Preferences
Manage Key Phrase
Notification
Multiwavelength Study of Equatorial Coronal-Hole Jets View all abstracts by submitter

Pankaj Kumar   Submitted: 2019-02-07 07:58

Jets (transient/collimated plasma ejections) occur frequently throughout the solar corona and contribute mass/energy to the corona and solar wind. By combining numerical simulations and high-resolution observations, we have made substantial progress recently on determining the energy buildup and release processes in these jets. Here we describe a study of 27 equatorial coronal-hole jets using Solar Dynamics Observatory/AIA and HMI observations on 2013 June 27-28 and 2014 January 8-10. Out of 27 jets, 18 (67%) are associated with mini-filament ejections; the other 9 (33%) do not show mini-filament eruptions but do exhibit mini-flare arcades and other eruptive signatures. This indicates that every jet in our sample involved a filament-channel eruption. From the complete set of events, 6 jets (22%) are apparently associated with tiny flux-cancellation events at the polarity inversion line, and 2 jets (7%) are associated with sympathetic eruptions of filaments from neighboring bright points. Potential-field extrapolations of the source-region photospheric magnetic fields reveal that all jets originated in the fan-spine topology of an embedded bipole associated with an extreme ultraviolet coronal bright point. Hence, all our jets are in agreement with the breakout model of solar eruptions. We present selected examples and discuss the implications for the jet energy build-up and initiation mechanisms.

Authors: Pankaj Kumar, Judith T. Karpen, Spiro K. Antiochos, Peter F. Wyper, C. Richard DeVore, Craig E. DeForest
Projects: None

Publication Status: ApJ (in press), 16 pages, 6 figures
Last Modified: 2019-02-07 10:24
Go to main E-Print page   A basal contribution from p-modes to the Alfv'enic wave flux in the corona  Non-thermal hydrogen Lyman line and continuum emission in solar flares generated by electron beams  Edit Entry  Download Preprint  Submitter's Homepage Delete Entry 

Key
Go to main E-Print pageGo to main E-Print page.
Previous AbstractPrevious Abstract.
Next AbstractNext Abstract.
Download PreprintDownload Preprint.
Submitter's HomepageSubmitters Homepage.
Edit EntryEdit Entry.
View All Abstracts By SubmitterView all abstracts by submitter.
Delete AbstractDelete abstract.

Latest Entries
The Role of a Tiny Brightening in a Huge Geo-effective Solar Eruption Leading to the St Patrick's Day Storm
A basal contribution from p-modes to the Alfvénic wave flux in the corona
Multiwavelength Study of Equatorial Coronal-Hole Jets
Non-thermal hydrogen Lyman line and continuum emission in solar flares generated by electron beams
Determining normal mode features from numerical simulations using CEOF analysis: I. Test case using transverse oscillations of a magnetic slab
Modelling the Effect of Mass-Draining on Prominence Eruptions
Transverse waves in coronal flux tubes with thick boundaries: The effect of longitudinal flows
Electron distribution and energy release in magnetic reconnection outflow regions during the pre-impulsive phase of a solar flare
Benchmarking CME arrival time and impact: Progress on metadata, metrics, and events
First Unambiguous Imaging of Large-Scale Quasi-Periodic Extreme-Ultraviolet Wave or Shock
Coronal Imaging with the Solar UltraViolet Imager
Investigation of pre-flare dynamics using the weighted horizontal magnetic gradient method: From small to major flare classes
Seismological determination of the Alfvén speed and plasma-beta in solar photospheric bright points
Dynamo Wave Patterns Inside the Sun Revealed by Torsional Oscillations
Evidence of Twisting and Mixed-polarity Solar Photospheric Magnetic Field in Large Penumbral Jets: IRIS and Hinode Observations
Dissipation scale lengths of density turbulence in the inner solar wind
On the Possibility of Generating Harmonics of the Electron Plasma Frequency in the Solar Atmosphere due to Explosive Instability in a System of Interpenetrating Electron and Ion Flows
Determination of the total accelerated electron rate and power using solar flare hard X-ray spectra
Transition from axi- to nonaxisymmetric dynamo modes in spherical convection models of solar-like stars
Can high-mode magnetohydrodynamic waves propagating in a spinning macrospicule be unstable due to the Kelvin-Helmholtz instability?

Related Pages
MSU Solar Physics.
Max Millennium Science Mail Archive.
Max Millennium Message of the Day Mail Archive.
Max Millennium Flare Catalog

Archive Maintainer
Alisdair Davey



© 2003 Solar Physics Group - Montana State University