First Announcement - Petaluma, CA meeting (Nov 30-Dec 5 2012)

shilaire at ssl.berkeley.edu shilaire at ssl.berkeley.edu
Thu Dec 1 18:17:45 MST 2011

First Announcement:
“Tracing the Connections in Solar Eruptive Events”

November 30 – December 5, 2012
Sheraton Sonoma County Hotel
Petaluma, CA  USA

On behalf of the Science and Local Organizing Committees, I invite you to
mark your calendars  for a conference/workshop entitled “Tracing the
Connections in Solar Eruptive Events” to be held November 30 – December 5,
2012.  The conference will be devoted to sharing analysis,
interpretations, and results based on recent observations from various
solar spacecraft, such as ACE, Fermi, Hinode, RHESSI, SDO, SOHO, and
STEREO.  This is the third in a series of “California Wine Country”
conferences, and the format will be a mixture of plenary sessions and
cross-connected working groups following the highly successful model
established by earlier conferences in the series (Sonoma 2004:
http://sprg.ssl.berkeley.edu/RHESSI/rst/old_welcome.html and Napa 2008:
see http://sprg.ssl.berkeley.edu/RHESSI/napa2008/ ).

A fledgling website is online at:

           http://hessi.ssl.berkeley.edu/petaluma/index.shtml.

The overarching objective of the conference is to examine the connections
amongst the phenomena that lead to solar eruptive events.  The current
slate of themes includes:

- Measuring the Coronal Magnetic Field;
- Connections to, and Reactions of, the Large-Scale Corona;
- Large-scale Magnetic Connectivity of Active Regions;
- Transfer of Energy to, and Storage of Energy in, the Corona;
- The High-Energy Particle - Flare - CME connection.

Working groups will address topics such as:

- Energy Transfer throughout a Solar Eruptive Event;
- Global Energetics of an Ensemble of Events;
- Coronal Influences to the Lower Atmosphere;
- CME Initiation and Type II Bursts;
- The Release of Energetic Particles in the Low Corona;
- Flows vs. Waves;
- Microflares/Nanoflares;

We also intend to have a panel-led debate on the topic of “How much closer
are we to flare prediction?”

More details will be announced in due course.  In the meantime, please
mark your calendars, and I look forward to seeing you in Northern
California wine country this time next year!

Gordon Emslie
Chair, SOC