Fermi Solar Data Analysis Workshop - August 22-23

Andrew Robert Inglis andrew.inglis at nasa.gov
Wed May 30 10:42:16 MDT 2012

Dear colleagues:

We are pleased to announce the Fermi Solar Data Analysis Workshop to be
held at Goddard Space Flight Center on August 22-23, 2012. Although
primarily an Astrophysics observatory, the Fermi Gamma-ray Space
Telescope, and its Gamma-ray Burst Monitor (GBM) and Large Area
Telescope (LAT), provide unique capabilities in the 8 keV - 300 GeV band
to monitor and study both the quiescent and flaring Sun. Fermi has
already made many observations of solar X-ray and gamma-ray emissions,
and many more can be anticipated during the next few years with the peak
in solar activity expected in 2013.

This workshop is meant to be informal and interactive. It will start
with reviews of X-ray and gamma-ray solar studies to date, including
results already obtained with the Fermi observatory. Extensive tutorials
will be given on both GBM and LAT data analysis techniques, with time
set aside for hands-on practice on your own laptop. We invite all of
those interested in learning more about Fermi’s Solar capabilities, and
interested in interacting with experts in the field, to attend this
2-day workshop.

Due to NASA badging requirements, we encourage participants to register
as early as possible. Note that it can take up to 2 months to obtain
badges for some visitors. Therefore, please register by June 20th. Late
registration may be accepted if badging requirements can be met.

The workshop itself will be free to all participants, and include coffee
breaks. We regrettably are unable to assist with travel funds for any
participants.

Please see
http://fermi.gsfc.nasa.gov/science/mtgs/workshops/da2012_solar/ for more
information and updates as they become available.

Local Organizers:
Julie McEnery
Brian Dennis
Judy Racusin