Using Fermi Solar Flare Data

Dennis, Brian R. (GSFC-6710) brian.r.dennis at nasa.gov
Fri Nov 15 09:03:48 MST 2013

I am asking for your help in assessing the value of our Fermi Guest investigator project to make the Fermi GBM and LAT data readily available to the solar physics community. We are writing a follow-on proposal to continue this project, and it will be important to show how widely the Fermi solar observations are being used, and how useful the capabilities are that we are providing to access and analyze the data.

Please let me know of any use you are making of Fermi X-ray and gamma-ray observations of solar flares.  Are you using or are you planning to use any of the solar-specific access and analysis tools we have provided? Here is a short description of them:

*         Fermi solar flare page at
http://hesperia.gsfc.nasa.gov/fermi_solar/

*         Fermi GBM Flare List at
http://hesperia.gsfc.nasa.gov/fermi/gbm/qlook/fermi_gbm_flare_list.txt

*        Quick-look count-rate light curves for both the Gamma-ray Burst Monitor (GBM) NaI and BGO detectors available on the RHESSI Browser at
http://sprg.ssl.berkeley.edu/~tohban/browser/?show=grth1+qlpcr+gbmd+gbmo&date=20131028&time=015250

*         LAT quick-look time lines available on the RHESSI Browser coming soon.

*         Spectral analysis of GBM data in OSPEX

*         Spectral analysis of LAT data in OSPEX coming soon

If you have been accessing and using Fermi data, even if it is just looking at the time lines on the RHESSI Browser, please drop me a line.  Let me know how you access the data, how you have used them, and what you think of our web site and the ease of access and data analysis. Also, please include references to any use or mention of Fermi data in a presentation or publication.

Thanks for your help,

Brian

Brian R. Dennis
Solar Physics Laboratory, Code 671