Hinode and IRIS support for ALMA observations

Adam Kobelski adam.kobelski at uah.edu
Mon Sep 5 02:01:55 MDT 2016

Good day all,

It was suggested that I pass the following note along to the Max
Millennium Science Group. I will also add that the next call for
proposals will likely be sometime in April of 2017.

Thanks,

Adam Kobelski

Adam Kobelski (256) 961-7409
University of Alabama in Huntsville
Center for Space Plasma and Aeronomic Research
320 Sparkman Drive, NSSTC 2098
Huntsville, AL 35805adam.kobelski at uah.edu <mailto:adam.kobelski at uah.edu>

Coordination with ALMA observations of the Sun is high priority for both
the IRIS and Hinode missions. IRIS and Hinode provide observations from
the photosphere to the corona that are ideal complements to the
chromospheric measurements with ALMA. During the upcoming ALMA cycle 4
solar observations from December 2016 to April 2017, IRIS and Hinode
will prioritize support of successful ALMA cycle 4 solar observing
proposals.

We suggest that PIs of accepted ALMA proposals inform the Hinode and
IRIS teams as soon as possible of the desired observational support —
our teams will be happy to collaborate with you to tailor the
coordinated observations to your science goals. We suggest that
successful ALMA proposers submit a request for an IHOP (IRIS-Hinode
Operations Plan), see http://hinode.msfc.nasa.gov/hops.html#requirements
for details. Please use the following Submission Form:
https://docs.google.com/forms/d/1mvUqVsIlEZ0ta4hbzkVqKKv_kW8x6IHI584IkvaOzX8/viewform

Please keep in mind that while IRIS is in eclipse season from early
November through mid February, during this time frame IRIS will
nevertheless be able to provide high quality observations for about 60
minutes out of every orbit (97 minutes). To maximize overlap with IRIS,
requesting at least 1.5 hours of ALMA observations is the best option.
IRIS has no limitations for ALMA support from mid February onwards.

As the observation date nears, close communication on the timings and
pointings of the ALMA observations will be required in order to allow
Hinode and IRIS to coordinate successfully.

If you have questions about support for ALMA observations, please
contact Sabrina Savage (sabrina.savage at nasa.gov) for Hinode and Bart De
Pontieu (bdp at lmsal.com) for IRIS.