FIRST SOLAR FLARE OF CYCLE 25!

Richard Canfield richard.canfield at montana.edu
Thu Apr 12 10:29:07 MDT 2018

FIRST SOLAR FLARE OF CYCLE 25!
------------------------------

On Tuesday "Mr. SolarSoft", Sam Freeland, discovered and documented
the first solar flare of Cycle 25:

http://sdowww.lmsal.com/sdomedia/ssw/media/ssw/ssw_client/data/ssw_service_180409_152748_17806_2/www/

According to Millennium Chief Observer Bill Marquette:

   The southern hemisphere region located at S31E07 on 4/9/17:30 UT
   had, for a brief time, a small reversed polarity C-type/beta sunspot
   group and Sam reported that tiny A2.5 event at 4/9/12:57 UT.  So,
   the first noteworthy region of Cycle 25 complete with a beta sunspot
   group and the first tiny flare event of the new cycle.

Bill also notes:

   I made it (lived long enough) to see the beginning of another
   solar cycle!  This is the 5th one!  I started at the University of
   Michigan's McMath-Hulbert Solar Observatory in 1967 during Solar
   Cycle 20.

   Like Cycle 24, this one may be starting with little overlap between
   low-latitude old-cycle regions and high- latitude new-cycle regions.

Kudos, Sam and Bill!