2020 AGU Session on high-energy solar remote-sensing missions/instruments

Amir Caspi amir at boulder.swri.edu
Wed Jul 22 10:19:01 MDT 2020

Dear colleagues,

	There is one week left to submit abstracts to this year's AGU Fall Meeting, to be held "mostly virtually."  I wanted to invite you to consider submitting an abstract to the third-annual installment of our session for next-generation remote-sensing missions.  This year the focus has been expanded to include all remote sensing, including imaging, spectroscopy, polarimetry, and combinations of those, plus anything else I'm missing.
	Session link and description are below.  Deadline is 11:59pm EDT on July 29th (next Wednesday).

We look forward to your exciting submissions!

https://agu.confex.com/agu/fm20/prelim.cgi/Session/103362

SH008 - High-Energy Solar Investigations Through Next-Generation Remote Sensing: Spectroscopy, Imaging, and Beyond

Energetic processes on the Sun, including particle acceleration and plasma heating during flares and quiescence, emit signatures across the electromagnetic spectrum, from X-rays/gamma-rays, through UV/EUV, to infrared and radio. Recent measurements from numerous solar observatories including RHESSI; SDO; MinXSS; SphinX; the FOXSI, Hi-C, EUNIS, and EVE rockets; the GRIPS balloon; EOVSA; and many others; and from opportunistic observations by non-solar observatories such as NuSTAR, Fermi, ALMA, and VLA, have significantly advanced our understanding of these phenomena. They have also shown the pressing need for increasingly advanced high-resolution, high-sensitivity measurements across the entire spectrum, including polarimetry and especially imaging spectroscopy, to gain further insight into these high-energy processes.

This session invites presentations covering new instrumentation, enabling technology, missions, and concepts for next-generation solar remote sensing -- including spectroscopy, imaging, and beyond -- aimed at studying high-energy (hot and non-thermal) aspects of the Sun, and the science enabled by such new observations.

--- Amir Caspi, Lindsay Glesener, Jenna Samra, & Athiray Panchapakesan