Week 3 Log

Monday, June 23, 2014

I tested the IDL code's ability to detect and track active regions. I worked through the detection of active regions on the Sun for dates around 2001-09 and 2000-07. This allowed me to test the code's functionality and to learn how I can best work to find and pair the active regions.

Tuesday, June 24, 2014

I worked through the active region detections for a few more dates. One issue that I worked on involves finding the optimal degree to which an active region is fragmented into smaller regions or merged into bigger regions. I tested different parameter values in the code to find what produces the best fragmentation. I also attended a lecture on the atmosphere of the Sun (Charles Kankelborg).

Wednesday, June 25, 2014

Today I continued the active region detections and tested the detection and tracking code. I helped Andrés to find bugs in the code.

Thursday, June 26, 2014

I continued the work that I did yesterday. The code is working well now. Code to detect all of the positive and negative regions will run overnight, and I will begin going through the entire MDI mission soon.

Friday, June 27, 2014

I worked through some final issues and bugs. I plan to begin the active region detections next week.