E-Print Archive

There are 4353 abstracts currently viewable.


Search:

Advanced Search
Options
Main Page Add New E-Print Submitter
Information
Feedback
News Help/FAQ About Preferences
Manage Key Phrase
Notification
GeV Particle Acceleration in Solar Flares and Ground Level Enhancement (GLE) Events View all abstracts by submitter

Markus J. Aschwanden   Submitted: 2010-04-30 16:27

Ground Level Enhancement (GLE) events represent the largest class of solar energetic particle (SEP) events that require acceleration processes to produce gapprox 1 GeV ions in order to produce showers of secondary particles in the Earth's atmosphere with sufficient intensity to be detected by ground-level neutron monitors, above the background of cosmics rays. Although the association of GLE events with solar flares and coronal mass ejections (CMEs) is unambiguous, the question arises about the location of the responsible acceleration site: coronal flare sites or heliospheric CME-associated shocks? To investigate the first possibility we explore the timing of GLE events with respect to hard X-ray production in solar flares, the height and magnetic topology of active regions, the role of extended acceleration and particle trapping, as well as the maximum observed energies in solar gamma rays. We find that 40% (5 out of 13) recent GLE events are accelerated during the impulsive flare phase, while the remaining 60% are accelerated approx 5-35 min later, which could possibly be explained by extended acceleration and/or trapping in flare sites. This alternative interpretation, however, does not rule out the generally accepted paradigm of acceleration in CME-associated shocks for any event.

Authors: Markus J. Aschwanden
Projects: None

Publication Status: Space Science Reviews, 171, 3-21 (2012)
Last Modified: 2012-09-30 10:52
Go to main E-Print page  Numerical simulations of spicule formation in the solar atmosphere  Measurements of the Coronal Acceleration Region of a Solar Flare  Edit Entry  Download Preprint  Submitter's Homepage Delete Entry 

Key
Go to main E-Print pageGo to main E-Print page.
Previous AbstractPrevious Abstract.
Next AbstractNext Abstract.
Download PreprintDownload Preprint.
Submitter's HomepageSubmitters Homepage.
Edit EntryEdit Entry.
View All Abstracts By SubmitterView all abstracts by submitter.
Delete AbstractDelete abstract.

Latest Entries
The role of non-axisymmetry of magnetic flux rope in constraining solar eruptions
Energy budget of plasma motions, heating, and electron acceleration in a three-loop solar flare
Space weather: the solar perspective - an update to Schwenn (2006)
Mixed properties of slow magnetoacoustic and entropy waves in a plasma with heating/cooling misbalance
The morphology of average solar flare time profiles from observations of the Sun's lower atmosphere
Indications of stellar coronal mass ejections through coronal dimmings
Could switchbacks originate in the lower solar atmosphere? II. Propagation of switchbacks in the solar corona
Solar large-scale magnetic field and cycle patterns in solar dynamo
Three-dimensional magnetic reconnection in astrophysical plasmas
Energy partition in a confined flare with an extreme-ultraviolet late phase
Alfvén wave heating in partially ionized thin threads of solar prominences
He I 10830 Dimming During Solar Flares, I: The Crucial Role of Non-Thermal Collisional Ionisations
Separating aa-index into Solar and Hale Cycle Related Components Using Principal Component Analysis
Inward Propagating Plasma Parcels in the Solar Corona: Models with Aerodynamic Drag, Ablation, and Snowplow Accretion
Energetics and 3-D Structure of Elementary Events in Solar Coronal Heating
Stellar Superflares Observed Simultaneously with Kepler and XMM-Newton
Medium-term predictions of F10.7 and F30 cm solar radio flux with the adaptive Kalman filter
Resonances in a Coronal Loop Driven by Torsional Alfvén Waves Propagating from the Photosphere
Effects of external flow on resonant absorption of coronal loop kink oscillations driven by an external fast wave: Selective excitation problem
Emerging Dimming as Coronal Heating Episodes

Related Pages
MSU Solar Physics.
Max Millennium Science Mail Archive.
Max Millennium Message of the Day Mail Archive.
Max Millennium Flare Catalog

Archive Maintainer
Alisdair Davey



© 2000-2020 Solar Physics Group - Montana State University