Max Millennium News

Richard Canfield canfield at mithra.physics.montana.edu
Wed Jul 4 16:58:50 MDT 2012

                           MAX MILLENNIUM NEWS
CONTENTS

1. TRACING THE CONNECTIONS IN SOLAR ERUPTIVE EVENTS
2. E-PRINTS POSTED IN THE PAST WEEK
3. FROM THE EDITOR

1. TRACING THE CONNECTIONS IN SOLAR ERUPTIVE EVENTS
> From Gordon Emslie <emslieg (at) wku.edu>

On behalf of the Science and Local Organizing Committees, I am
pleased to invite the solar physics/heliophysics community to a
conference/workshop entitled "Tracing the Connections in Solar
Eruptive Events" to be held at the Sheraton Sonoma County Hotel,
Petaluma, CA, from November 27 - December 2, 2012.

The conference will be devoted to sharing analysis, interpretations,
and results based on recent observations from various solar
spacecraft, such as ACE, Fermi, Hinode, RHESSI, SDO, SOHO,
and STEREO.  This is the third in a series of "California Wine
Country" conferences, and the format will be a mixture of plenary
sessions and cross-connected working groups, following the highly
successful model established by earlier conferences in the series
(Sonoma 2004 and Napa 2008). The meeting website can be found at

http://hessi.ssl.berkeley.edu/petaluma/index.shtml .

The overarching objective of the conference is to examine the
connections amongst the phenomena that lead to solar eruptive events.
The current slate of themes includes:

- Measuring the Coronal Magnetic Field;
- Connections to, and Reactions of, the Large-Scale Corona;
- Large-scale Magnetic Connectivity of Active Regions;
- Transfer of Energy to, and Storage of Energy in, the Corona; and
- The High-Energy Particle - Flare - CME connection.

We have assembled a cast of outstanding invited speakers for these
sessions. Working groups will address topics such as:

- Energy Transfer throughout a Solar Eruptive Event;
- Global Energetics of an Ensemble of Events;
- Coronal Influences to the Lower Atmosphere;
- CME Initiation and Type II Bursts;
- The Release of Energetic Particles in the Low Corona;
- Flows vs. Waves; and
- Microflares/Nanoflares;

The "manifestos" for the working groups can be found at

http://hessi.ssl.berkeley.edu/petaluma/workinggroups.shtml

Additional working group topics may be created, depending on the
content of the abstracts that are submitted. We also intend to have a
"presidential-candidate" style debate on the topic of "How
much closer are we to flare prediction?â"

The registration site:

http://hessi.ssl.berkeley.edu/petaluma/registration.shtml

and abstract submission site

http://hessi.ssl.berkeley.edu/petaluma/abstracts.shtml

are now open. I invite you to register, submit your abstract, and make
your hotel reservations. Rooms booked through the link supplied on the
conference page will receive the conference rate.

https://www.starwoodmeeting.com/StarGroupsWeb/res?id=1112156251&key=6482F

A limited amount of funds has been identified for the purpose of
providing travel support for students and new postdocs. The closing
date for such applications is July 20, 2012. We invite interested
individuals to visit the site at

http://hessi.ssl.berkeley.edu/petaluma/travel_support.shtml

for more details.

I look forward to seeing you in Northern California wine country later
in the year!

Gordon Emslie
Chair, SOC

2. E-PRINTS POSTED IN THE PAST WEEK
-----------------------------------
> http://solar.physics.montana.edu/cgi-bin/eprint/default_page.pl

CONCERNING SPIKES IN EMISSION AND ABSORPTION IN MICROWAVE RANGE --
G.P.Chernov, R.A.Sych, G.L.Huang, H.S. Ji, Y.H.Yan, and C.M.Tan

Secondary Waves, and/or the ''Reflection'' From and ''Transmission''
Through a Coronal Hole of an EUV Wave Associated With the 2011
February 15 X2.2 Flare Observed With SDO/AIA and STEREO/EUVI --
O. Olmedo, A. Vourlidas, J. Zhang, X. Cheng

Coronal hole boundaries at small scales: III. EIS and SUMER views --
M.S. Madjarska, Z. Huang, J.G. Doyle and S. Subramanian

Radio-loud CMEs from the disk center lacking shocks at 1 AU --
N. Gopalswamy, P. Makela, S. Akiyama, S. Yashiro, H. Xie, R.
J. MacDowall, M. L. Kaiser

COMPLEX RADIO ZEBRA PATTERNS ESCAPING FROM THE SOLAR CORONA AND
NEW GENERATION MECHANISMS -- G.P.Chernov

3. FROM THE EDITOR

The Max Millennium program exists to enhance all aspects of solar
flare research. If you have news that is of broad interest to that
community, feel free to send your message to the MMScience e-mail
list:
   http://solar.physics.montana.edu/max_millennium/mmlists.shtml
Address questions to canfield at physics.montana.edu