Max Millennium News

Richard Canfield canfield at mithra.physics.montana.edu
Wed Oct 3 13:30:29 MDT 2012

                           MAX MILLENNIUM NEWS
CONTENTS

1. NEW MAX MILLENNIUM CHIEF OBSERVER
2. E-PRINTS POSTED IN THE PAST WEEK
3. FROM THE EDITOR

1. NEW MAX MILLENNIUM CHIEF OBSERVER
------------------------------------
> From Dick Canfield <canfield at physics.montana.edu>

Paul Higgins is the most recent addition to the MM_COs. He is
presently finishing his PhD with the Astrophysics Research Group at
Trinity College Dublin. For his undergrad, Paul attended Contra Costa
College and transfered to UC Berkeley where he double majored in
Physics and Astrophysics. He was a research assistant in the Particle
Data Group at Lawrence Berkeley Laboratory and then in the Space
Physics Research Group at Space Science Laboratory. His PhD research
includes investigations into the relationship between dynamic sunspot
group properties and the occurrence of flares, primarily relying on
SOHO/MDI magnetic field observations.  In the next two years he will
do a postdoc between TCD and LMSAL on a topic related to his PhD.
We are delighted to have him on board as a MM_CO.

2. E-PRINTS POSTED IN THE PAST WEEK
-----------------------------------
> http://solar.physics.montana.edu/cgi-bin/eprint/default_page.pl

Heliophysics gleaned from seismology
-- D. O. Gough

On the magnetic field required for driving the observed
angular-velocity variations in the solar convection zone
-- H. M. Antia, S. M. Chitre & D. O. Gough

Magnetic Field Structures Triggering Solar Flares and Coronal
Mass Ejections
-- K. Kusano, Y. Bamba, T. T. Yamamoto, Y. Iida, S. Toriumi, A. Asai

What have we learned from helioseismology, what have we really
learned, and what do we aspire to learn?
-- Douglas Gough

Magnetoacoustic waves in a vertical flare current-sheet in a
gravitationally stratified solar atmosphere
-- P. Jelinek, M. Karlicky, K. Murawski

A Database of >20 keV Electron Green's Functions of Interplanetary
Transport at 1 AU
-- Agueda N., Vainio R., Sanahuja B.

2010 August 1-2 sympathetic eruptions: I.  Magnetic topology of
the source-surface background field
-- V. S.  Titov, Z. Mikic, T. Torok, J. A. Linker and O. Panasenco

3. FROM THE EDITOR

The Max Millennium program exists to enhance all aspects of solar
flare research. If you have news that is of broad interest to that
community, feel free to send your message to the MMScience e-mail
list:
   http://solar.physics.montana.edu/max_millennium/mmlists.shtml
Address questions to canfield at physics.montana.edu