TESS session 16: next-gen missions -- call for abstracts

Amir Caspi amir at boulder.swri.edu
Wed Apr 13 12:51:43 MDT 2022

Hi all,

	It's a bit last-minute, but I wanted to ensure that everyone knew about our TESS session #16, "High-Energy Solar Investigations Through Next-Generation Remote Sensing: Spectroscopy, Imaging, and Beyond."  This is the next installment in our now long-running successful series of AGU sessions for next-gen missions, instruments, technology, and science studying high-energy processes on the Sun.

	Please consider submitting an abstract to the session!  We welcome a broad range of topics, and especially encourage decadal concepts and long-term outlook.

	Abstracts are due this Friday, April 15.  The session description is below, for your reference.  Abstracts can be submitted at the following URL: https://submissions.mirasmart.com/TESS2022/Splash.aspx

Looking forward to seeing you at TESS, in session 16! =)

--- Amir, on behalf of the conveners

16. Title: High-Energy Solar Investigations Through Next-Generation Remote Sensing: Spectroscopy, Imaging, and Beyond
Conveners: Amir Caspi (SwRI), Lindsay Glesener (UMN), Tom Woods (CU/LASP)

Energetic phenomena on the Sun, including impulsively-driven eruptions (flares and coronal mass ejections) and more gradual coronal heating and solar wind outflows, provide crucial insight into unique regimes of plasma physics and astrophysical processes, and are also the primary drivers of space weather. Physical processes within these phenomena, including particle acceleration and plasma heating, emit signatures across the electromagnetic spectrum, from Xrays/gamma-rays, through UV/EUV, to infrared and radio. Spectral and imaging observations of these emissions provide critical diagnostics into the macro- and microphysics underlying these processes. The X-ray and EUV emissions are also significantly geoeffective, contributing to societally-important dynamical effects in Earth’s upper atmosphere and ionosphere on a variety of timescales.

Recent measurements from numerous solar observatories including RHESSI; SDO; SolO; MinXSS; SphinX; Chandrayaan-2; the FOXSI, MaGIXS, Hi-C, EUNIS, and EVE rockets; the GRIPS balloon; EOVSA; and many others – and from opportunistic observations by non-solar observatories such as NuSTAR, Fermi, ALMA, and VLA – have significantly advanced our understanding of these phenomena and their driving processes. They have also shown the pressing need for increasingly advanced high-resolution, high-sensitivity measurements across the entire spectrum, including polarimetry and especially imaging spectroscopy, to gain further insight into these high-energy processes and the solar magnetic field that powers them.

This session invites presentations covering new instrumentation, enabling technology, missions, and concepts for next-generation solar remote sensing -- including spectroscopy, imaging, and beyond -- aimed at studying high-energy (hot and non-thermal) aspects of the Sun, as well as the solar magnetic field. Presentations are also invited on the science enabled by such new observations, including space weather-related science and impacts to Earth’s atmosphere and ionosphere.

Recognizing the 2023-2032 Heliophysics Decadal Survey currently under way and the community-led Heliophysics 2050 vision, we also encourage presentations that include longer-term future outlooks and both intra- and inter-disciplinary integration of solar and heliospheric physics, space physics, and other relevant fields.