TESS Topical Session on the Millimeter Chromosphere

Kobelski, Adam R. (MSFC-ST13) adam.kobelski at nasa.gov
Thu Apr 14 12:35:32 MDT 2022

Hi All,

In case you hadn’t seen it and were still debating where to submit your abstract, I wanted to remind you about session 23 before the TESS abstract deadline tomorrow: “Investigating the Solar Chromosphere at Millimeter Wavelengths”.

Meeting website:
https://aas.org/meetings/tess2022

If you have any science results utilizing millimeter wavelength observations, or that could benefit from millimeter wavelength observations, we encourage you to submit an abstract.

Thank you, and we hope to see you in Bellevue!

Adam, on behalf of the ALMA Solar Development Team

23. Title: Investigating the Solar Chromosphere at Millimeter Wavelengths

Conveners: Adam Kobelski (NASA Marshall Space Flight Center), Gianna Cauzzi (National Solar Observatory)

One of the most notable new developments in the study of the solar chromosphere is the ability to obtain high resolution observations of the Sun at millimeter wavelengths using the Atacama Large Millimeter Array (ALMA).

This interferometric imaging array of 64 dishes, located at an altitude of 5000 meters in Chile, is currently able to observe the Sun at frequencies from 90 GHz to 370 GHz (~ 0.85 – 3.0 mm wavelengths), achieving spatial resolutions as high as 0.6”, with 1 s cadence.

The millimeter continuum is emitted by electrons over much of the range from the temperature minimum to the transition region, and provides a direct measure of the local temperature. Thus, ALMA data provide important new diagnostics for studying the spatio-temporal structure and dynamics of the solar chromosphere. Over the past few years, the community has made significant progress in the processing and interpretation of this interferometric data. and numerous studies have used these data to probe various features and processes in the solar atmosphere. Within this session, we aim to introduce the community to both novel science results obtained by this new facility and to highlight future scientific opportunities enabled by ALMA, especially those in coordination with ground and spaced based instruments. We invite contributions from previous users of ALMA about their results, but also presentations of studies of the solar chromosphere that would potentially benefit from the additional temperature and magnetic field diagnostics from these millimeter observations. Two featured talks will provide a broad overview of solar ALMA science, including the potential for observations of solar activity and flares, and provide guidance for potential new users of the facility, with the goal of inspiring a broader participation in this exciting science.